So how do you know that the products you use are measuring up? Well you could check the Product Certificate Register, but if you do remember that Codemark is a voluntary product certification scheme with only 120 products listed.You might also check out product appraisals, but again be aware that appraisals are voluntary. BRANZ has the most appraised products, at 321.
So what about the thousands of products, systems and items used on your building sites? Be they tapes, glues, screws, nails or larger items.
How do you know you’re using the right products? Here are 5 tips to help you stay up to scratch.
- Check your dockets and receipts - If someone has sweated over your plans and specified certain products you need to keep the contractors honest and view the invoices to confirm you have received what you’ve paid for and that they are from reputable merchants.
- Stay alert at every stage – Remember building inspectors can't see everything, so you need to be on the case throughout the build.
- Don’t pick and mix - Suppliers won't stand behind any mixing or matching of their products with those of other suppliers so take care that you see the correct tubes of sealant and that the correct proprietary fixings go with the right product.
- Don’t let your contractors pull the wool over your eyes - Take care no products are swapped for an inferior one.
- Don’t try to cut corners - If you are the building owner don't be fooled that you can find a cheaper substitute and request that your contractor installs it. You may find it not fit for purpose.
At Building Networks we have an e-learning segment on the dangers of product substitution. If you haven't invested in our e-learning package as yet and would like to try before you buy, click here to view a general demo.