I have found there's a bit of misunderstanding out there so here's a few tips:
1. The Law has been passed. The correct reference is the Building Act 2004 NOT the Pools Amendment Act and NOT FOSPA. SO take a good look at your websites, checklists and reference materials to the public.
2. F9 NZ Building Code clause is now published and available HERE
3. The Acceptable Solutions AS1 and AS2 are not yet published. Indications from MBIE that they will be available late March. But as consents for pool barriers are coming across your desks now you have to assess against what the Code is and NOT wait for the acceptable solutions.
My advice go conservative and careful in approving anything less that what will comply with the old schedule 1 of FOSP 1-10 found HERE
4. Up to now lockable lidded spa pools never complied. Only pools that are 760mm in height and have a lockable lid with no more than 5m2 will be exempt from being inspected going forward. It will be the owners job to manage the risks.
5. The issue of Bi-fold doors as a means of compliance has not been fixed. They didn't comply with a top bolt and they don't now either
6. 3 yearly inspections time frame for inspections has already started 1/1/2017.
Want to know more?
links to MBIE website HERE
We have two-day courses for folk wanting to become private Pool Inspectors (IQPIs) which Council officers are welcome to attend too. We are also running some one day and half day customised in-house training for Council officers and customer service staff who are the front of asking questions on pools. If you would like a session brought to you just call our friendly team who can organise this for you.