Yes, there are changes a foot but these are NOT LAW YET.
The proposed bill is called Building Pools Amendment Bill. Grab a copy HERE.
It is stuck in the Parliamentary process for now.
As soon as it is made law we will:
- Let you know
- Send you a link so you can get a copy
- Run a FREE webinar for our BuildNet members
- Run training sessions (both public courses, online and in-house) on the new criteria.
Two proposed features of the Bill are:
- Lockable lidded spa pools will at LAST COMPLY. (With obvious new criteria and responsibilities for owners).
- Compulsory inspections of home pool fencing (100% over 3 years). That is a lot checking.
Tip: It all starts with knowing how many pools would fit the criteria.
How up to date is your pool register? Time to get that sorted first. With all the modern technology and consents approved over the past two decades there should be information at the ready for you to be able to complete this task.
By the way, the CURRENT law is HERE. Fencing of Swimming Pools Act from way back in 1987. Yep it’s still alive and kicking
Check out this old, but still valid, guidance around immediate pool area definitions HERE.