From Building networks
Did you hear the news today – oh boy…. If you didn’t hear the broadcast listen to the RadioNZ item HERE
Its kind of sad how long it take journos to catch up with what is happening out here on the ground in the NZ housing market. I am surprised that they needed an OIA to figure out that MBIE does not record all leaky building repairs.
1. The targeted repairs referred to in this article were probably done under everyone’s radar (i.e. done without Council knowing anything. owner keeping it hush, hush so they could on sell to some inspected purchaser)
2. Most damaged homes don’t go to through the Weathertight Homes claims process and are settle by private mediation with the parties. So no one knows just how far and wide the issue goes.
3. Only a fraction go through the full process let alone the financial assistance package.
In my humble opinion the 2004 Building Act changes and Financial Assistance Package options does not go far enough
1. to fix the problem we have got
2. to stop it from happening ever again…
If you have forgotten what the report said here is a link to remind you. Link to Hunn Report.
What qualifies me to say anything? Well, after teaching this law since its inception in 1991 to one group or another, and having seen behind many a Council door, sat on numerous working parities, and even worked for the Building Industry Authority! I at least have a right to my opinion too.. And I have also been the Mum at the school listening to the other Mum’s talking about how they covet these “new look” homes. Heart – head – and common sense or reality check?